Former Employer Withholding Wages? An Employment Lawyer Can Help By Ihab Ibrahim on November 11, 2021

Upset woman at workHas your former New Jersey employer failed to pay your final wages? Are they asking for unapproved documentation or giving you the run-around? If so, then this is an appropriate time to get in touch with employment attorney Ihab Ibrahim of Jersey City, NJ.

According to New Jersey Wage Payment Law, all employees who have completed their employment must be paid all the agreed wages for work done on behalf of their employers. Violation of this law results in stiff penalties for employers. For a first offense, the consequences include a fine of $1,000 and/or imprisonment for 10 to 90 days. Subsequent offenses result in escalating penalties.

Read on to discover how a New Jersey employment lawyer like Ihab Ibrahim can help if your former employer is withholding wages.

What Are Wages?

According to the New Jersey Wage Payment Law, wages are direct monetary compensation for services or labor performed by an employee. The amount is determined on a time, task, piece, or commission basis, excluding any form of extra incentives and bonuses, which are calculated independently of regular wages and paid in addition thereto. As of January 1, 2021, New Jersey’s minimum wage is $12 per hour. It should rise to $15 an hour by 2024.

How an Employment Lawyer Can Help

If you find out that your employer is withholding wages, contact an employment attorney immediately. An employment attorney can help you take action and get your wages back, as well as potentially file a lawsuit against the employer for damages related to lack of timely payment. Jersey City employment attorney Ihab Ibrahim can:

  • Give you professional advice and guidance on navigating employment law and necessary procedures when recovering your lost wages.
  • Inform you about your legal rights and responsibilities in regards to wages, employment benefits, and termination.
  • Manage your claim negotiations and document exchanges, file necessary legal papers, and appear at any mediation or arbitration proceedings on your behalf.
  • Assist you in the process of filing a wage claim or lawsuit against your former employer.

Do's and Don'ts When Filing a Lawsuit Over Unpaid Wages

Before you file a lawsuit, it's essential to understand the do's and don'ts that might significantly affect your claim against your employer over unpaid wages:


  • File a claim against your former employer within two years for unpaid wages. If the violation is willful, you have up to three years to file a lawsuit. 
  • Gather all required information about your employment agreement, including wage statements and pay stubs. You may need them to prove to the court how much your employer owes you in unpaid wages and any damages related to lack of payment.
  • Contact an employment attorney to help you file a wage claim with the Department of Labor or file a lawsuit against your employer.
  • Keep detailed records regarding any correspondence you have with your former employer regarding unpaid wages and damages related to their non-payment.


  • Don't take any legal action on your own without consulting an employment attorney.
  • Don't sign or agree to any statements that waive or release your rights to receive wages for work completed.
  • Do not file a lawsuit if you have been involved in illegal activity at work or caused substantial harm to your employer's business or property.
  • Do not cut ties with your former employer before reaching a settlement with them.

Let Ihab Ibrahim Law Firm Help

If your former employer has withheld your wages, do not hesitate to contact Ihab Ibrahim Law Firm in Jersey City, NJ. We will give you professional advice on how to proceed with your case, and we can represent you in all legal proceedings. To arrange a free case review and consultation, contact us online or call us at (855) 529-0030.

Related to This

Ihab Ibrahim

Ihab Ibrahim Law Firm

Attorney Ihab Ibrahim has practiced law in Jersey City, NJ, since 2014. He is proud to represent clients in matters related to:

Mr. Ibrahim offers consultations and is available to meet at night or on weekends. To request a case review, fill out our online form or call (855) 529-0030.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite